Sunday, May 20, 2012

Good Enough

Lately I've had the writing blues. Wicked Illusions has not done well in the querying process and I hit a big bump with my work in progress (until today I haven't seriously worked on it in a month and a half). With all the rejections I've gotten for Wicked Illusions I started to wonder if I was ever going to be good enough to get an agent, let alone get published. It's hard when you see friends and other writers getting requests when you're not, then getting an agent, then getting a book deal, and so on.

And then it's even harder when you see a terrible book like Fifty Shades Of Grey make millions upon millions of dollars, and then your own book-- which you KNOW is better (sorry E.L James)-- is never "good enough."

I've not seriously considered giving up yet, but I was getting close. I really wanted to abandon my WIP because it didn't feel "good enough." I was going to start on something else, but I'm pretty sure I would have abandoned it too for not being good enough.

WHAT IS GOOD ENOUGH, ANYWAY?

Who knows?

But when I get to feeling this way, I start scouring the internet for blogs, vlogs, and stories from other writers who have been in my shoes. I watched these two videos this morning and they jump-started my motivation. How will I ever know if I'll be good enough if I don't sit my butt down and just WRITE THE DANG BOOK ALREADY?

So my first book wasn't "good enough"? That doesn't mean that the next one won't be. I'll get that first book polished enough to publish one day, but I've got to branch out and push myself to do something better first. Anyway, these two videos inspired me to get going, so maybe they'll help you too if you need a little boost like I did today. (I've written 3500 words and counting today. Yay for getting over the hump!)

Thank you Shannon Messenger and Jackson Pearce!








3 comments:

  1. Thank you for this post - loved the videos.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Loved the videos. But here's the thing. You can't quit!! I won't allow it! You absolutely one hundred percent have what it takes. You do. It will happen. I've always thought so. And those doubts you're having won't go away once you get the agent or the deal..they just change a bit. Getting through these doubts is what'll make you strong enough to handle the other ones. *hugs*

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm not ready to quit yet, I just have those days where I'm afraid it's never going to pay off. But at least I'm not alone!! We gotta stick together and remind each other that we ARE good enough! Better than good enough!!!

    ReplyDelete