Monday, March 7, 2011

LOVE

I recently got this tattoo on my foot:

 
(Yes, I am aware that my feet are translucently pale)

It was my first tattoo (and most likely, my only; though, I feel that if I ever get a book published I will probably want to get a tiny one somewhere to commemorate it).  But when people ask me why I got that particular tattoo, I want to tell them the real reason.  But it takes a while for me to be able to explain it fully.  So I usually just tell them that it stands for my love for my husband and my family (which is true), and that I drew it up and thought it was pretty (which is also true).  But my real reason for getting the word "love" permanently engraved into my skin is this: the world revolves around love.
 
If you stop and think about it, love is all around us.  Almost every song out there, from country music to rap music, is about love.  They are about falling in love for the first time, or falling in love for the umpteenth time.  They are about having your heart ripped out, or having your heart repaired by a new love.  All movies have to have some sort of love plot, or people will lose interest.  Even in the most gruesome horror stories, love plays some part in the plot line. Most books are completely about love.  I have heard several authors joke, "kissing sells books".  And it does! Because everybody wants to play a part in love, whether it's their own or someone else's.   
 
And there are so many different types of love, how could you resist?  We are built for love.  There is the love you have for your significant other, the love you have for you parents, the love you have for your children, the love you have for your friends, and even the love you have for worship.  All of these are different unto their own, but we crave it.  We live for it.  If you were to find one person in this world that doesn't feel some type of love, you will be looking at a dead person.
 
I think it is beautiful that this one emotion can cause so much ecstasy, anger, frustration, happiness, and utter thankfulness.  So all in all, I love - LOVE.  Love can make you feel like nothing else in this world, like nobody is more special, like nothing could be better than what you are feeling right at that moment.  And who doesn't want that?
 

No comments:

Post a Comment